Friday, September 23, 2005


23 September 2005

Dear Loved Ones,

This is addressed to people close to me, who greeted me on my birthday, interested on how I spent my special day and how we are doing now, in our little corner of America! para isang kuwentuhan na lang!

Speaking of discerning God's Will! Our (Sean and I) journey is a testimony that when things go well and smooth, then you are on the right track and doing His Will! Take note of the chronology flow of events:

July 30, 2005 - Met up with my son Sean (who came from New Jersey, while I came from Manila) at San Francisco airport. Met by my niece Maria who was kind enough to drive us all the way to Sacramento. (The original plan was for us to take the train from Sanfo to Sacto, her kindness will never be forgotten!);
July 31 - Brought around Sacramento, to the "Los Rios" schools by my sister, Ate Nenita, to compare. There are 4 colleges along the American River (American River College, Cosumnes College, Sacramento City College and Folsom Lake College) all collectively called "LosRios District Colleges". Sean decided he liked American River College (ARC) due to its proximity and ambience, whatever that is;
Aug 1 - Sean registered on the Internet for his enrollment at ARC, got accepted, got schedules on line;
Aug 2 - He reported to ARC for his Assessment Test at 1:30 PM(by computer), checked, passed and paid for his Registration;
Aug. 3 - He went back at 1:30PM for his Orientation, arranged his class schedule, got his cards, student ID and collected his books. His student ID gives him access to free transport in all public buses and trains, and purchase discounts;
Aug. 11 - Sean and I took and passed our written DMV driver licenses exams;
Aug. 14 - We moved to our own cute apartment, which is along the bus route and near the city center, with my brother-in-law and sister providing the necessities: like bed for Sean, dining table chairs, plates, glasses, etc. Their home is in a very exclusive place, far from public transport; and this is in accordance with our plan, to be independent sooner than later;
Aug. 15, 8:00A.M.- Sean started with his classes at ARC with a course on Design Techology. His subjects include Auto CADD Design, Math (Algebra), Art and English. Originally, he wanted to be an Architect. But as he realized that the demand for Civil Engineers is much higher since Sacto is still fast developing, , he now wants to take up Civil Engineering. He has been performing very well in his classes and is very much driven to excel as a Filipino in a foreign land. His high-tech training in Claret is serving him well, kung hindi mahihirapan siya. I myself am amazed at his strong metamorphosis and sense of responsibilities; His class schedule is: M-W-F, 8:00 AM to 3:00PM; T-Th: 1:00 PM to 8:00PM so hectic din, 9:00Pm na dumadating pg T-Th;
Aug 18 -We bought our state-of-the-art computer system, got connected with high-speed Comcast internet, complete with Webcam and speaker and since then, we had been video conferencing with our Manila office, speaking for hours for free thru Yahoo Messenger,, without the long-distance telephone charges; kaya parang nasa Manila din lang ako, all the issues are discussed and decided upon;
Aug. 22 - We bought our used model 2004 Malibu Chevrolet Classic Car sedan, (maroon color) na gusto ni Sean, one that we expect to use for the next five years. So tita Cors, completo na at comportable ang buhay namin dito, say mo! Remember, I sold out my green car there, para may pambili dito, so sulit lang;
Aug. 31 - I took and passed my "behind the wheel" drive test by the DMV; Sean has to postpone his, to comply with California law for minors to have at least 50 hours driving instruction. Besides he is busy with school, sa December na lang siguro; We had been enjoying good health and the best of the American system, enjoy na enjoy ako with the Gov. "Arnold S." way, imbibe ko na ang freedom and law and order for all! When I watch inq7.net and GMA news shows here which I often do, Sean would say, those are the things that we are glad not to be experiencing anymore, joke lang, he-he! miss ko pa rin ang mga baha at mga bungi-bungi. Actually, I'm just enjoying the benefits of having a "green card", taking my options as they come, savoring the best of both Pinoy and US worlds!
So Sean has found his little corner here and we know God is guiding us! On this jourey, I've adopted a "missionary outlook" with the lowest expectations, so that every good thing that happens is a pleasant surprise. So far, people we've met had been very nice, here in our apartment community which are mostly Eastern European, everyone greets everybody when you meet them around, vey quiet and peaceful environment, I could live here for the next 5 years! How I celebrated my birthday on Sept. 20? When I opened my cell to text Sean (Sept. 20 dyan, nakasingit ang birthday greetings ni Bro. Jack and Fr. Art). On the morning of Sept. 20, Sean and I started with a Mass at Our Holy Family Church here in Citrus Heights. Ate called to meet for lunch. I got a call from SEARS Human Resource the day before, for an interview for possible employment at 1:00 PM, Sep 20 here, so Ate and I agreed to meet at 12:15 at Sunrise Mall where SEARS is. We decided to eat after the interview since it mght take just a few minutes. My interviewer was a Chinese Ms. Yin and we enjoyed exchanging anecdotes and she decided to hire me right then and there, then edorsed me to the staff to fill out forms. It took me more than an hour to finish everything. My Ate, who kept coming back for me, decided to sit on the receiving area to wait for me, she was wondering why we were already discussing tax exemptions or how to get my salary. Ganoon sila dito kabilis mag-decide, walang red-tape. I'm just waiting for the background check and undertake some drug tests. Hopefully, I'll have my 1st job in America by next month. We finally had lunch about 3:00 PM, continued to talk and hang-out in the Mall until 6:30 PM. At home, Sean and I had Norwegian Salmon steak with noodles, salad and soup for dinner, para daw kaming nasa Manila Hotel! It was a simple but very memorable 1st birthday celebration in America! Note: I received through the mail my laminated California driver license valid for 4 years, also on my birthday!

HR Recruitment here is done on-line. An applicant walks into one of two terminals set-up, inputs personal data and responds to Assessment tests/questions of 50 to 100 crtical work situations, with 5 choices, where you select your "best" and "worst" intuitive responses I've done that in at least five terminals. SEARS was my 2nd interview, the 1st was TARGET but I declined because the only option was a 4PM to 11PM shift, in which case I would not see my son anymore, which would defeat the purpose of my stay here. If I did good in all those walk-in assessents ,it means I would be expecting more interviews coming.

Since I have a return air ticket valid for six-months until January 30, 2006, I plan to maximize my stay here, explore all possibilities for work or business, keeping an open mind, considering teaching, selling, business, i'm even reading materials to take exams to qualify for postal jobs exams by December; Wherever or whatever God will lead me to! Meantime, what keeps me most busy, aside from the household chores, is when Sean is here, I really drill him on Math, even up to Calculus that we always sleep very late, 12:00 to 1:00 A.M. here ang sleeping time namin. I just do the cooking, Sean does all the rest, laundry, vacuum, toilet cleaning, etc,. Kailangan share of chores dito.

I had my educational credentials from U.S.T. evaluated by the Educational Records Evaluation Service(ERES) here and ERES certified that my Ph.D. is equivalent/ comparable to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in the United States. It's good that I brought the "original" Transcript of Records of my three degrees from U.S.T.

By the way, our contact address is:

7679 Greenback Lane, #2052
Citrus Heights, CA 95610
U.S.A.
Home phone is : (916) 729-3075 ; I still have my Smart cellphone, but I only open it to send text (for emergency).

Yes, Ms. Cora, my apartment is just 500 meters from that center where you used to chill out at Barnes & Noble, located at the Birdcage Walk, opposite the Sunrise Mall. It's like the distance from my home in Fairview to SM Fairview. Can you blame me for loving it here? Well, I miss you all guys, keep posted as we continue to pray for one another for God's continuous Blessings!!!

Much Love and Best Regards!!!

SUSAN AND SEAN

P.S.

I sent this message out last Sept.23. I sarted my work with Sears Sept. 28 and after undergoing orientation training through interactive computer terminals, customized "People Software", very comprehensive, parang application lahat nang pinagaralan ko sa MBA and PHD, quite an experience and loving every minute of it. I take charge of inventories of fine jewelry, test all the diamonds and gems of the world, gusto nyo bang bumili or mag-business tayo, mura lang kung mag-clearance sale sila dito! I didn’t know that I had Marketing skills. So far, na-eexceed ko naman ang sales goal ko, salary is basic hourly rate plus commission on sales, at least may-pambayad sa apartment and maintenance.
Miss you all guys, so please keep in touch! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A MORE BLESSED NEW YEAR!!! Love, Susan and Sean

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A MORE BLESSED NEW YEAR!!!

Love, Susan and Sean

No comments: