Tuesday, February 28, 2006

28 February 2006

Dear Loved Ones,

BELATED HAPPY VALENTINES!!!

My personal activities were caught up in the swirl of exciting events in the Philippines. The main reason for the delay of this journal is because I spent more time watching television to keep abreast with the local happenings. Now I realize not having TV in the U.S. is a Blessing!



As soon as I arrived in Manila on Jan. 23, I promptly resumed my regular activities:
Attend daily 8:00 AM Masses with my husband Gerry at Sto. Domingo church in QC on weekdays, and at the Good Shepherd church in Fairview(we stay in our El Jardin condo, Bohol Ave on weekdays and go home to Neopolitan NFairview on week-ends);
On M-W-F, I reported to our office in Malate, did my duties and responsibilities as Pres. & GM of Fairview Shipping (which is engaged in the recruitment of seafarers for foreign shipowners) and Chair of Fairview Marine Transport (which is engaged in domestic shipping and vessels operation, with Gerry as Pres. We provide for the transport needs of CE Casecnan Water and Energy Co. along the Pantabangan River in Nueva Ecija. Thus, we are business partners of California Energy Co., an American MNE with main office at 6750 Ayala Ave., Makati)
T-Th were dedicated to personal well-being: activities with my Opus Dei Circle – Doctrine classes, Recollections, Confessions and chats (these were what I missed most when I was in the U.S.) Our circle of six (we’ve been together since 2001) is headed by Beth Libarnes, who we fondly call Mother Superior. She is very devoted as we learn so much from her, actually she is my model in this journey to America, she also has a green card and bent on staying long(starting this March 15) in the U.S. to complete the citizenship process / requirements, also basing in California (San Jose);
Went to the malls, watched movies, had lunches with various groups of friends, on different occasions: with our Circle of six; with Ms. Cora Ignacio, with my kumare Tess Santiago, merienda with my PUP Group – Dean Vicky Naval, Dr. Rudy De Lara, Dr. Danny Reyes and Graduate School office staff; dinners with our Couples for Christ Group in North Fairview; dinner with the UST Dominican Fr. Art Dingel in Glorietta, Makati; lunch – Board Meeting with partners of the Nordic Ventures Synergy Center; Despedida dinner with our Seville, North Fairview neighbors (8 couples with pot-luck food on Sunday night, Feb. 26, during the height of the Fort Bonifacio coup stand-off, all of us were in our bedroom where our TV was, to watch the happening); Bday party of cousin Dr. Lee B. at Sterten Condo Penthouse; Despdida at Italiani’s with ODCircle.




Memorable moments were spent with my hubby: watched concerts of foreign artists at the Araneta Coliseum – The Lettemen, The Zoombies and on Valentine’s Day with Mr. Andy Williams, who sang 50 or more songs. It was really a night to remember: Gateway Mall was filled with couples for dinner /shopping; the dome was full house amidst heavy security with many politicians and partners attending: senators, cabinet members, congressmen, etc. What was so touching was the audience of mature couples (mostly above 50s), wearing reds, women with bouquets of red roses, many in long gowns, some in casuals, others on wheelchairs, out to enjoy the love songs/music. Filipinos really know how to celebrate!!!
Then we went to relax for a week in Tagaytay Highlands and Caleruega. During all of these, we were aware of the disasters happening around – man-made and natural – like the Stampede at Ultra, the floods in Mindoro, the landslide in Leyte, the imposition of the State of national Emergency and its subsequent lifting (daw), the aborted coup, etc.

Let me express my cent’s worth on some personal observations on the U.S. and Philippines systems -; on what is hindering our progress. Premise: The U.S. has its Laws embodied in its Constitution and followed through by generations – the rule pf the majority (doing what is good, right and positive) applies and respected by all (with some minor exceptions), like the good cops are the majority while there are also bad cops. The Philippines also has well-crafted laws patterned after the American system. However, the rule of the majority is questionable and the exceptions(bad, corrupt, etc.) seem to “rule”; like while there are good cops, the bad cops seem to be the majority, especially now that PGMA spoiled the military, turning them as her private army to protect her at all cost.

Consider my personal experiences: 1) While driving my Montero SUV toward SM North EDSA from a lunch date, I was flagged down by an MMDA traffic aide, he asked for my license telling me that I was on the wrong lane. Since it was a 1st offense and being a Balikbayan, I asked for consideration but he would not budge. Then I asked if he would issue a receipt for the fine I will pay and get back my license, he answered that I have to go to their Makati office to pay Php 300.00 and claim my license there, which was a very impractical thing to do. Then when I said I did not have time to go to Makati, he said for me to shell out Php 100.00 for merienda. He asked me to open the windows so I can throw the bills as the other aides were watching. (No wonder the proposal to “pay traffic penalty at accredited banks was strongly opposed and not implemented.) Conclusion: The traffic/pay system really breeds CORRUPTION! Then I realized I am really back in the Philippines!

2) In the heat of the Muslim rallies on the cartoon issue against Demark, all the Nordic embassies in Manila were on high alert. Police authorities were asked to provide additional security, so PNP men were mobilized in the various Nordic embassies. As an embassy staff narrated: Instead of PNP men standing outside to watchout for rallyists,, they chose to stay inside the airconditioned rooms, asked for television set for their comfort, asked for coffee, sandwiches and other amenities. In other words, instead of being of help for security, they became a burden to embassy staff , so they requested for the PNP men to leave. If you ask for police protection, you should prepare for a budget of Php 40,000.00 /month/person. And those are the attitudes/practices of just one sector of society. Replicate those attitudes / values to many other groups of society, so you can imagine why our country is in a sad state. No wonder, we hear of “shabu talipapa” existing for so long in Pasig, right next to the Mayor’s office and so many outrageous happenings.

I love my country so much, the food (I'm chubby again), the family/friends, the friendly smiles. In our own little way, we contribute to our economy by being conduit of dollar remittances for allotments of our OFWs, paying good taxes and being good employers, etc. I am a strong advocate for education and training and feel that the ills in our society may be remedied through continuous education and training, like “teach people how to fish, not giving them fish all the time”.

What a nice feeling to be back in Sacramento! But I will cherish great, beautiful memories of my Philippine sojourn for so long!!!
Much love and Best Regards!!!

SUSAN BG

No comments: