Monday, August 31, 2009




Dear Loved Ones,


Pleasant Greetings from Sacramento, CA! Actually, I just got back from New Jersey; the month had been quite hectic for me, especially the 2nd half-month as I did a lot of travelling to and from the east coast, had some adventurous AMTRAK rides along the 13 original colonies/states, visited new nature spots, meeting up with relatives and friends in the east, and many more.


Actually, the main reason I visited east is upon the request of my daughter Sarah to ‘big-boy sit’ her son MAX while on school vacation at their New Jersey home, to strong-bond with him, which I did pretty well since he calls me lovingly as his ‘Mama Sue of California’ with a nice rolling accent. In between my sitting job, one week-end was spent to visit my UST-Eng batch mate Emma Padaoil, her hubby Bill Bull with their son Charlie. I took the Friday pm AMTRAK ride from the Newark Penn station, and then they met me at the Union station in D.C, and proceeded to their Virginia home. Passing up the standard tourist D.C. spots where I had been in my past visits, Emma brought me to the amazing Luray Caverns (2-hrs drive from their home) where we spent more than 2-hours admiring Nature’s wonders. When I had my Geology class in college, I memorized the definitions of stalactites, stalagmites, igneous, sedimentary rocks, caverns, natural deposits/ formations and many more, but could not visualize their colors, textures, and various characteristics – the total package! The visit provided all the information needed and fulfillment to truly appreciate God’s wonderful and mysterious ways / plans for balance and beauty of His creations! Thanks so much Emma and Bill for bringing me there even if you have to repeat the journey all over again with your previous guests – out of the way and extraordinary!


Since Emma is active in the planning of our Pinas UST-Eng big Feb 2010 as our 40th year jubilee, she arranged for a video-phone conference with Nilo Daza and Amelia M. We managed to agree to save the dates Feb. 20 – March 5, 2010 for other reunion activities, like out of Manila trips. Then on Sunday, I asked them to bring me to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception to say prayers and ended up attending Mass (even if we had attended already the Sat anticipated Mass). Well, better to offer God more time than lesser, part of His mysterious Will and Graces! We visited the U.S. Postal Museum (both Emma and Bill work with the US Postal Service) before they brought me back to AMTRAK station. Thanks so much for a wonderful week-end! My visit with them is a reciprocity when they went out of their way to be my 1st visitor, staying overnight in our new home when we just moved in July 2007, while they were on vacation in CA. Our friendship has come full circle!


The rest of my NJ days were highlighted by visits with other relatives, trips to Filipino food stores like Red Ribbon, Masses at various churches, as on Aug. 28 which is the Feast of St. Augustine, my favorite Doctor of the Church (converted and baptized at age 33 years), the patron Saint of my hometown in Panglao, Bohol. There was a big fiesta celebration even for kababayans in NJ, lots of invitation but I had to beg off due to my main job function. Upon my arrival, Sarah had asked me to cook menudo and pancit so we had Filipino food (in addition to adobo, inihaw, paksiw, etc.) during most of my stay.


Although I was not physically present during our monthly Catholic Lunch Club, held on August 21 at the Radisson Hotel, my friend provided me her notes on that occasion. The guest speaker was Mark Shea, Sr. Content Editor, Catholic Exchange, whose topic was: Care and Feeding of the Lay Catholic Apostle. Lay Catholics are called to do the vast majority of the work in the New Evangelization. He gave tips about the cultural and theological glitches that confront the lay apostle in the 21st century America; how to deal with the challenges in these times of relativism and much opposition to expressions of faith.


I participated in the on-line Live Video/Chat Streaming during Tita Cory’s Mass and Funeral hosted by GMA7News.TV which lasted 12 hours (6:00pm to 6:00am Sacramento, CA time). Using my Facebook account, I was able to post comments which were shown instantly on the live chat stream, together with the rest coming from around the world. Comments were varied: on the live video, comments to your comments, mostly loving ‘Pasasalamat to Tita Cory’. It was a truly moving and memorable experience! She is truly a courageous and remarkable person; a historical person, we owe her so much; she deserves all the accolades and honor!


Attached are 4 photos of: with my MAX, with Emma in DC, with cousins, Sarah in NJ. Let us continue to pray for our country and people. Peace and Joy to You and God Bless Us All!


Much love and Best Regards!!!


SUSAN BG

No comments: