Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dear Loved Ones,

Pleasant Greetings from SAC, USA! Happy Easter, and may the Blessings and Graces of Jesus’ Resurrection I am enjoying thoroughly the remaining winter days with heavy rains, sunshine during mid-days, then evening rains in the 50s. Oh well, I had my sunny Pinas days, so having the best of both worlds is a Blessing, thanks God!

On our SacCatholicForum held at the Radisson Hotel on April 8, we had as speaker Fr. Robert Presutti, President, University of Sacramento, who discussed the topic ‘Approaching Easter: What should we know??’. His discussion was a ‘shot in the arm’ as he addressed how to joyfully finish our Lenten journey – refreshed, renewed, enriched, and invigorated. Of the 12 proofs/truths he enumerated on the historical revelation of Christ, I easily identified with those I learned on the philosophy of St. Thomas, among them as follows:


· Reality exists: there is an objective world outside of me;

· Truth is the correspondence of mind to reality, consistent with s

et of values, to God’s mind;

· My mind can know reality;

· Ideas are important;

· Faith and reason complement one another; mutually support one another. No matter how intelligent one is, without faith and God’s grace, one will not achieve full comprehension of Truths.

Supplemented with our Opus Dei activities and participation in all our parish Lenten rituals, I had a meaningful observance of the passion, death and Resurrection of Christ Jesus and truly feel the blessings of Easter!

On April 17, our National University held its Graduation/Commencement ceremonies at the SAC Convention Center. Since I brought my UST Ph.D. regalia (gold cap and gown) from Pinas when I went home in February, I opted to wear my UST regalia during the event. The attractive gold and black colors caught a lot of attention that more than a dozen persons asked me where I got my degree. I proudly responded: ‘At UST in Pinas, and we just celebrated our 400 years anniversary’, which elicited wonderful remarks. Some people and students introduced themselves as having been to Pinas, shared their experiences, and how much they loved Pinas. Most of my co-professors expressed admiration at the very beautiful regalia, mocking their dull boring colors and expressed the desire to wear similar attractive colors. Umani nang tagumpay and suot ko. In my small sphere of influence , I made UST known – Go global Thomasian!

After our Income Tax filing, we got advice on how Sean can optimize his benefits, such as buying his own house or car. Since he had been using his Chevy for 6 years now, it was due for replacement. Thus, on April 23, he made his 1st big purchase of his own – a 2-door space gray BMW 335i sports coupe. While at first I thought it was an extravagant choice, well, we’re in America, might as well enjoy. Secondly, being a senior citizen, deserve ko rin ang luxury car that I dread to have in Pinas due to rampant criminality/carnappers, remember my top-of-the-line Pajero was stolen in broad daylight in Dec. 2004 which prompted my decision to come to America. Now, through Sean’s initiatives and God’s wonderful rewards, I am slowly adjusting to enjoy these comfortable amenities in life. As Gerry recalls, having a BMW car was his dream for many years, and he is happy that Sean is fulfilling his dream, which is a sign of progress in his early career, and as parents, we are truly proud and happy for him!In the midst of summer vacation in Pinas, Gerry and our office staff (Jessica with husband, Agnes, Reilly are in Bohol (April 29 – May 3) for respite and recreation, attend fiestas (which means eating lechon and lots of food) visit Balicasag Island, dolphin watching, enjoy the beaches, and other tourist attractions, and visit friends and relatives – na-bayot na naman ang Panglao to entertain them!

We are looking forward to the premier showing of the movie on the life of St. JoseMaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei – ‘There be Dragons’ on May 6 in a SAC theatre. The theme is: Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future. I am now watching EWTN programs on the beatification of John Paul II; while on Friday (1:00 – 5:00AM SAC time) I watched the wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate. Oh well, maximizing my options in life, with God’s wonderful Graces!

Attached are 4 group photos of recent activities. Let us continue to pray for our country and people. Peace and Joy to You and God Bless Us All!

Much love and Best Regards!!!

SUSAN BG

No comments: