Saturday, June 30, 2012


Dear Loved Ones,

            Pleasant Greetings from Manila, Pinas! This covers the 1st part of my Pinas sojourn (June 10 – July 14) – activities during the month of June – the first week culminating my St. Mel’s commitments, our wedding anniversary week, then the interesting flight to Manila!

            My Pinas visit was rushed for me to attend the POEA shipping executive’s seminar as required for the renewal of our license to operate as Manning agent for another 5 years. Thus, off I went for the Hawaiian Airlines flight out of SAC airport. However, due to flight delay, our group of 7 was detoured to take the PAL flight out of San Francisco airport, arriving Manila on June 12, with many interesting side stories. Upon arriving Manila, my hubby Gerry had booked us at the Sofitel Hotel for 3 days. It was convenient that transport and driver was provided to shuttle me to POEA and back; then I finally settled at my El Jardin Condo in Q.C. A pleasant surprise was to discover that Gerry had transformed the 3rd floor of one of our 2-units office townhouse into our 2-bedroom living quarters, so things were flexible; we could sleep / stay in when the need arise. We are very accessible to MOA, CCP, Makati, Sofitel, and the like.

            The POEA seminar went smoothly – met wonderful people with varied experiences on land and sea-based recruitments; exchanged critical incidents, amazing stories, and learned new regulations in the overseas employment industry. Definitely, I got my certificate as proof of attendance, after signing in several times to ensure complete compliance!

            The following week, I went for my Opus Dei retreat in Calamba, Laguna; shared a ride with generous ladies – Lita Romualdez and Aning of L.A. Fr. Patio, who was my retreat chaplain last year at the OD Center in Horsehoe Drive, Mandaluyong, was my retreat master again this time in Calamba, Laguna – so amazing! He is a very effective director; he shared new insights on Mama Mary and convert Scott Hahn, among others; so fruitful and enlightening!    

The rest of the month was spent on activities in our Fairview Shipping office, studying the systems in the light of full compliance to POEA regulations, observing procedures/ actions relevant to increase in business activities with additional vessels and hiring of new employees, re-orienting them to our policies and systems for effective and efficient operations, such as performance evaluation at the 3 – individual, organizational, and process levels.
  
Other highlights for the month:
·      On the final phase of our Bible study on PSALMS, I had to miss the last 3 sessions due to my trip, but I continued on my own readings to complete the package;
·      To hang-out with a variety of friends, I stayed at our gated El Jardin condo on weekdays to be accessible to my QC contacts. During the 1st week-end, Gerry and I attended the baptismal party of Kaye’s daughter where she featured a photo booth where ‘glam and bayot shots’ were taken, DAD’s sumptuous buffet is always knock-out, shopping at MegaMall, then Mass at UP Diliman;
·      Spent time looking at our family photo albums updated and arranged chronologically; Gerry also had an album ‘SUSAN’s Portraits’ where one can distinguish the era by the hairdos and dress style I had; reminiscing beautiful memories;
·      Week-ends were spent hanging out in the various malls, watching movies like Men in Black 3, Amazing Spiderman 3, then shopping later. It was so much fun pointing to all the Pinoy foods, and Gerry buying them all for me. Masarap having a ‘Papa’ to indulge on you for a change; 

Attached are 4 photos during my first month / June part in Pinas. Let us continue to pray for our country and people. Peace and Joy to You and God Bless Us All!

Much love and Best Regards!!!



SUSAN BG

No comments: