Friday, April 30, 2010

Dear Loved Ones,

Pleasant Greetings from Sacramento, CA! Wishing everyone had a meaningful Holy Week, and a joyful Easter Sunday! I am now happily experiencing the best season of the year - spring, with all the flowers abloom, cold mornings, warm middays, and back to cool nights.

Again, I am personally witnessing to God’s Love. Things do happen for a reason and God is in control! I was looking forward to my European Business experience trip with NU MBA students (April 10 – 20). On the 10th my flight from SAC to LA was delayed for three hours which would unable me to catch the LAX to London Heathrow flight, prompting me to cancel my European tour. As we all know, the Iceland Volcano eruption happened the following week forcing the cancellation of many flights, which left many people stranded in London for days. I was spared of so much trouble; the stress would have caused health complications and anxiety. I had also planned for a side trip to Norway. Thanks so much for God’s Love!

On our monthly Catholic Lunch Club held on April 16 at the Radisson Hotel, the guest speaker was Deacon Joe Symkowick, Catholic Relief Services Advocacy Officer. Their group was among those who first responded to the massive earthquake that struck Haiti. Even while their hospital operation was 70% destroyed, Catholic Relief Services was able to get the hospital up and running to treat patients within days of the disaster. We learned more about the U.S. Catholic Church’s official overseas relief and development efforts, not only in Haiti and Chile, but also in over 100 of the world’s poorest countries.

On April 7, we watched the Black Eyed Peas concert at the Arco Arena, which kept the audience dancing / standing during the entire 5 hours – very entertaining! Each member had spots, the Pinoy APL de App did his ‘Bebot’ number in Pilipino to the audience delight! While the economy is down, they are truly at the peak of their career with all their top hits!

Reunions / visits with NPC friends and relatives kept me busy this month:
My nephew Rigel, wife Mabel (both nurses based in Arizona) and their two kids Athena and Andrew, visited and treated us to MAX’s, then we visited their friend Geraldine, who is also living here in Anatolia;
• Lorie Taguas Clark, former PNB-NPC staff, together with husband Carl, visited me the afternoon I called her number given by Cora. So nice to see the couple looked happy;
• The following Sunday, Lorie got me connected to Rose Acal Davies, who invited us immediately to their house for lunch to meet them. Rose used to be with Finance-Accounting, who migrated to Vancouver, Canada before setting in Sacramento two years ago. They also live in the Rancho Cordova area;
• That evening, another NPC friend Tessie Wi who was now based in Edmonton, Canada was visiting Rose. Actually, Tess just came from Pinas and passing by CA to visit a daughter in L.A., and was coming in by Greyhound bus. The following day, Rose, Tess and I went out for lunch, then I also invited them to my place for lunch that Wednesday. It turned out Rose was having difficulty with her schedule on Thursday to bring Tess to the bus station back to L.A. So I offered for Tess to stay with us for the night so Sean could bring her to the station the following day, since I also had a meeting at N.U. for that day. Everything turned out well for us old NPC-Pinas friends who had dispersed around the globe to have a short reunion for the week. Definitely, Lorie, Rose and I will see more of each other later.
• On our mother’s 31st death anniversary on April 26, after attending Mass, my Ate Nen, Sean and I went for lunch at Mizu in Rocklin. Next to our table were a group of 20 young Filipinas, all nurses at Sutter hospital. We are truly a powerful force in the health care system in America!
• I had a meeting with NU’s Dr. Jeff Mueller for my teaching assignment on Pod. & Operations Management in May, utilizing new book and new online system. Dr. Jeff (ex. US Army Col in Pinas, who recently visited Nueva Ecija on Leadership speaking engagement) informed me that he plans to retire in Dumaguete City in 5-10 years.

BTW, we were all connected easily through Facebook and the Internet, and continue to be interconnected with others in this global electronic communications, so amazing!

The best proof that my hubby truly enjoyed our recent Bohol trip is that he went to Bohol on April 29 to attend the fiestas in Tagbilaran and Panglao (May 1 and 3) and to enjoy the cock derby usually featured during this occasion.

Attached are 4 group photos of recent reunions with family and friends. Let us continue to pray for our country and people. Peace and Joy to You and God Bless Us All!

Much love and Best Regards!!!

SUSAN BG

No comments: