Sunday, February 03, 2013


Dear Loved Ones,

            Pleasant Greetings from Sac, CA, USA! Yes I am back from Pinas, after I spent New Year there with hubby and friends; observed traditional rituals, especially those concerning spirituality – hoping for a more Blessed Year 2013 for us all – GOD BLESS!

After welcoming year 2013 with colorful fireworks at the Mall of Asia, observed at our Sofitel Hotel suite, we went to early Mass at the Malate church, then to Ermita church, before shopping at the MOA for our necessities. While still on ‘colds sick’ mode I finally settled at my El Jardin del Presidente condo in QC, after visiting our Fairview Shipping office in Malate. With its wonderful ambience – gated structure, fresh-air 9J balcony, air-con off, festive surroundings, I felt rejuvenated and in the pink of health after 2 days, especially after seeing my reliable physician who advised me to stick to fresh seafood, vege-fruits diet. My swift recovery ensured my resolve to stay in Pinas 3-months (Jan-March) next time around.

My kumara Cora, who had just visited New Zealand, soon called up to arrange a dinner-meeting with Rey and daughter Hannah Del Rosario (who had migrated to NZ). After 10 years, we met at Gloria Maris with Agnes R. and enjoyed updating on our lives. We missed his wife Margie (who was our close NPC colleague). Hannah has grown to be a lovely sophisticated lady. Hope for an early 2014 reunion with Margie. By the way, I am so thankful to Ms. Cora, who served as my driver with her new state-of-the-art Mits Strada, who fetched and dropped me off, during our several outings. I truly appreciate the kindness! Our next outing was for the movie ‘Sisteracas’, lunch, visit to a funeral, culminated with a Mass at Sto. Domingo. While she suggested an English movie, I suggested the local-bakya show as I got curious about its top grosser in the Metro Manila filmfest.

Kumareng Agnes spent a day with me at the swanky fresh Robinsons Magnolia where we lunched at Elias, reminiscing memorable experiences / stories, ogled at the Chinoy high-end shoppers. Stores are a happy mix of Asian, American, European outlets offering products to economically upgraded populace – signs of prosperity indeed!

While I intended to attend the NK-ISO verification / assessment process of our Fairview Shipping, NK scheduled the meeting for Feb. 1, 2013, while my return flight to SAC was set for Jan. 24, so I could not wait for it. I did my bit to orient and prepare the staff on the process, like to read my dissertation book on ‘Benchmarking Competencies of Filipino Sea-based Workers: Towards Global Competitiveness’; impressed on them that appraisals are done on the individual, organization, and process levels; the NK process is to evaluate staff competencies to handle the Manning business. I made sure that they have Individual Performance Appraisal System, 201 File must be complete, HR matters, etc. Likewise, I accomplished a big hurdle: to hire a new Crewing Manager to help/assist my husband in the daily operations of our business, in the person of Marino Bonje, experienced big Magsaysay Shipping staff. I hope he will ease up the burden from Gerry’s shoulders so he could relax and enjoy senior moments.

            I also consider missing the NK meeting a blessing, since I avoided the potential clash with Gerry and staff, who consider me to be a ‘Hitler’ when it comes to Management style, which is one reason I am happily settled in America, which is conducive to my upbringing, values and standards. Instead, we got the help of a 3rd party, Ms. Ann who is a QA professional reviewing, revising the Manual; training, preparing the staff for the process. With her around, they (especially Gerry) will be receptive of any directions and changes proposed, which is contrary when I am the one doing them – everything will be taken against me! Thus, he-he-he, I am off the hook. Although my intentions are good and cost-effective, they would rather go for the more costly alternative. These situations – trying to minimize my business involvement, like removing my diploma, artifacts, photos/frames on display, changing office arrangements/layout I have already accepted; thus, my detachment, moving on and forward attitude. I am now focused on being Contemplative. See what Prayers can do, truly GOD is GREAT!!!  

Gerry and I watched Les Miserable at SM, enjoyed shopping, and very appreciative that he was generous during my Pinas stay – he made me feel good being married to a rich Papa!     

Since I arriving SAC via Hawaiian Air after an overnight at Waikiki Resort Hotel in Hon, focused on cleaning up the Mess we left since Christmas – washing linens, tossing thrashes, cleaning up, etc.

Attached are 4 photos with family and friends. Let us continue to pray for our country and people. Peace and Joy to You and God Bless Us All!

Much love and Best Regards!!!



SUSAN BG

No comments: